Question of the Day: Flaxseed Gel

21 May

Q:  I’m wondering if you ever use flaxseed gel and if so, what are your thoughts?

A: I love flaxseed gel (which is basically boiling flaxseeds in water and using the mucus runoff as a gel), it give me nice plump and shiny curls with a soft to medium hold. It doesn’t react with my other products and I can use it as a finisher as well. However, I do not have a recipe because I can NEVER get my consistency right. It always ends up either too watery or too snotty. Someone suggested I get marshmallow root to add to it, but I haven’t done that. Also, because it doesn’t have preservatives unless you add them, it can mold within a couple of weeks. I just wish that someone would make a mainly FSG commercial product – I know Aveda used to have one and there are some FSG *based* products, but I really just want FSG, preservative (to the point where I don’t have to put it in the fridge), and maybe a few extra fun ingredients. But it’s really cheap to make (All you need is flaxseeds and water!), so people can play with formulas and see what they like. I’ve seen people add honey, aloe vera juice/gel, oils, etc.

16 Responses to “Question of the Day: Flaxseed Gel”

1. Katrina June 5, 2012 at 9:50 AM #

Have you tried Shea Moisture Souflee? It has flaxseed in it. It does have the “snotty” consistency, but hey if its working for your hair who cares! I use the souflee and LOVE it!

2. Pamela June 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM #

I LOVE FSG!!! I usually add about two tablespoons of seeds to a cup of water and boil it until the gel has a consistency I’m comfortable with. That takes about 10 mins on medium heat. I then strain the gel and add rosemary and lavendar essential oil; I also add a tablespoon of aloe Vera gel (whole leaf) and mix.

• Elle June 1, 2012 at 7:25 PM #

Great recipe, thank you!

3. Alecia Edwards June 1, 2012 at 1:13 PM #

i tried it and i love the way it make my twist look, but when i took the twist down it did not last long…and then later my scalp started to itch…

4. Leeannjua May 25, 2012 at 11:00 AM #

I haven’t tried making a thicker consistency, but think adding sorbitol or gelatin would work. It would add a little hold though, so don’t know if you want that. I’m going to make a batch and will get back to you!

5. Carla Rose May 22, 2012 at 7:54 PM #

I’ve added a little agave to my gel and it gave a harder hold! You just need a tablespoon or two depending on how much gel you’re making.

• Elle May 22, 2012 at 7:56 PM #

I like the hold mine has – I don’t like the consistency though. I’ve tried agave and honey and they didn’t do anything for the consistency – did it work on yours?

• Carla Rose May 22, 2012 at 8:34 PM #

It did a bit. It gave it a bit more hold. It was nice to keep my edges back, but I’m not a fan of heavy gels on the length of my hair. I prefer to keep it light to medium, think Ecostyler Blue or As I am Smoothing Gel.

6. Alimom May 22, 2012 at 8:42 AM #

Naturalista Cosmetics’ flax seed gel is a great one with some awesome ingredients. Does have glycerin in it however.

• Elle May 22, 2012 at 8:44 AM #

Thanks – I gotta pass on the glycerin but maybe someone else will want it! Appreciate the link.

7. rhondamcknight May 21, 2012 at 7:29 PM #

Original Moxie Just Gel?

• Elle May 21, 2012 at 7:36 PM #

That has glycerin, I just want FSG, maybe some aloe in there!

8. sherlont May 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM #

Reblogged this on uniqueperfection.

9. Carla May 21, 2012 at 3:49 PM #

Man! It’s like you just read my mind! I’ve been searching for a commercial flaxseed gel. I found something interesting on etsy. Botticelli Botanicals makes FSG (extract…not sure if thats different..?) and adds whatever oils and scent you like. She also sells okra gel. O_o But i ordered that too! I hope I like it! Lol

10. TMS May 21, 2012 at 2:58 PM #

I found this etsy shop that sells flaxseed gel. Unfortunately, I have not tried it so I cannot give an informed opinion on this particular brand.

• Elle May 21, 2012 at 2:59 PM #

Yep, I know that brand. However, she recommends keeping the product in the fridge and using it up pretty quickly so it won’t spoil.

Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,590 other followers