Hey pals! I’ve tweaked my regimen a bit since my hair has grown and since I’ve figured some stuff out…check it!
– Wash hair with shampoo 1x a week in 6 sections
– Condition or use a cleansing conditioner + condition when I am redoing my wash n go (6 sections again), depending on how my hair feels and if I feel the product has left some build up (usually every 2-3 days, could be daily if I don’t like my second day hair or am playing with products)
– DC 1x a week with steam
– Daily Style – Wash n Go! (Currently, I’ve been doing about 12 sections in order to ensure the product is applied thoroughly and gets on my roots to minimize tangles)
– Ayurvedic Treatment – Henna + Indigo –> No longer using this.
– Ayurvedic Conditioning Mixes – No longer using these unless a small amount is put in a deep conditioner. I have tested the pH of these treatments and they range from 2-3, which is not good for my hair, as it’s already low porosity and this is too acidic.
– Sleeping! – Currently I’ve been sticking to my Sue Maesta hood, but I’m thinking of getting a DreadSock when my hair gets longer.
– Moisturize/fluff out daily using a water based moisturizer (Faves: Oyin Hair Dew, Donna Marie Super Buttercreme) when refreshing a wash n go.
– Sealing – I only seal when I am using a product that contains glycerin in less than optimal dews (Faves: Oyin Whipped Pudding, Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade, Oyin Hair Dew)
– Trimming – I do not trim my ends, frankly, because I haven’t felt as if I’ve needed to. I keep my SSKs to a minimum by moisturizing like crazy. However, I do search and destroys for the rare split and SSKs when I see them. I did a small trim last time I straightened my hair (half an inch), and may do another next time (but that most likely will not be for another six months or so).
– Heat – Diffuse as needed when my hair is soaking wet and I have things to do! Otherwise, I air dry.
Also, I continue to get questions about my hair color. Please check out this post for a thorough review of what I have used. Since that time, the only thing I did was add indigo to my henna mix (mixed them about half and half). However, I am now growing out my natural color and am no longer using henna or indigo.
Questions? Lemme know!
25 thoughts on “Updated Regimen (Some Tweaks)”
BEST POSTING! I love your organization! Im new to this world. I transition for 16 months and i BC 3 months ago. Im just trying to figure out what my hair needs.
please tell me where u got that shirt! 🙂
you’re too adorable
your arms look awesome!!! so does izzy
Do you reserve your more thorough detangling session for once a week while you finger detangle for every wash ‘n go? Do you do detangle after you’ve showered and after you’ve applied your leave-in product?
I do a quick run through with my fingers with conditioner in my hair when restyling my wash and go in the shower, then once a week I use a comb or brush. I do not detangle after I’ve already applied my leave-in, I do it before.
Since you aren’t going to do the powders anymore, what are you going to do about the color difference as your hair grows out?
PS, loves the shirt 😀
LOL nothing…different colored roots don’t bother me. I have significant roots – I haven’t used henna or indigo in like three months. And thanks!
Cute shirt, boo!
Do you know what material the Sue Maesta hood made out of? Google won’t tell me. I saw some hoods/scarfs at Sally’s but I didn’t like how the satin ones looked. They seemed too “porous,” for a lack of a better word.
Thanks, doll! Hmmm…I’m actually not sure what it’s made out of, but it’s like soft pantyhose…I’m guessing it’s a nylon, cotton, spandex blend. It’s very easy on the hair, doesn’t dry it out at all.
Thanks for sharing your regimen! Also by the way, love your tank. You know you guys kind of look alike there. Cute 🙂
You look gorgeous and as always, Izzy is fly:-) Love you on twitter; you crack me up!
Shhh…don’t listen to me on Twitter, I’m a hot mess, lol!
Izzy is looking good! I bet she’s glad to be more laid back with the regimen now. 1 1/2 years since BC right?
Thanks! Not quite 1 1/2 years…I just passed 16 months.
Great regimen hun. Sounds pretty simple. Maybe one day I can scale mines back a little, lol. Nawwwhhhh, too many things to try, lol. Your hair is looking fabulous! Love the shirt, wish they had it in my size 😦
LOL! Honestly, my hair seems to be doing better since I’ve been keeping it really simple. The only thing I really do is DC 1x a week now. I used to DC 3x a week, do henna, ayurveda, etc…but now my hair is too long to be wet all the time and have treatments in it without getting it all over my shoulders and bathroom! I also used to experiment and do my hair 2-3x a day, and that was not good! I think Izzy got lazy.
I understand , Thanks ever so much for responding:)).
Take care :))
good post 🙂
that shirt looks way cute on you, the muppet now looks like you. i wish that they hadn’t lightened the original character since there was no reason for it, but it’s cute on you.
Thanks! In person, the muppet is more of a bright orange-ish color (definitely not the same color as me, lol, or any person for that matter) – I truly don’t think they intentionally lightened it at all. We had a discussion about it on NC.
Thanks a bunch for sharing this with us :)). I noticed you mention how you seal if using glycerin in optimal dews.
I do understand exactly what you mean, but I was wondering if you could explain how you do this. I have a few products that I adore, but contains glycerin. I have considered putting these products to rest. But before doing that I would like to try other ways of possibly using them. Sooo I was wondering if you could explain a bit more on how you seal using products with glycerin either in a respond here, a seperate post , or video. Any way you see fit would be seriously appreciated.
Thanks ever so much, take care. :))
Not sure if I had a typo in my post (I’ll check), but I meant if I seal when I use glycerin in LESS than optimal dews (this is usually by mistake if I didn’t check the dew point that day). All I do is layer the glycerin product with an oil or pomade in order to “seal” it in. I don’t seal using the glycerin, I seal with another product when I use it when I shouldn’t have. Let me know if that makes sense!
Thanks Elle- Have you done a video on your 2nd day hair routine? If not would you? I am always in need of tips to refresh 2nd day wash n’ go’s.
Also, are you still in love w/ eco blue?
I haven’t done a video because all I do is fluff my hair back out with a moisturizer – I have a video where I showed how I fluff. And yes! I still love the Eco Blue. It’s been a spring staple for me.
Comments are closed.