Today, there are so many product companies that market towards natural hair that it can get a little overwhelming (I’m sure you are aware!). And unfortunately, what is readily available is not a direct reflection of quality. No, I’m not saying that all of the products we can buy in Target or the drugstore are crappy, but there are some gems (in my opinion) that you may be missing because you can’t drive down the street and pick it up. In this list, I am providing my personal favorites, but please, DO NOT run to their sites and order the entire line because I give them a shoutout. Like always, I highly encourage you to check out their ingredients lists and reviews on the products on the web to determine if it’s something you’d like to try. Now that that’s out of the way – here’s the list!!
1. B.A.S.K. (Beauty Assortment for the Sun Kissed): If you love products that smell like dessert, B.A.S.K. just may become a favorite of yours. The scents are absolutely decadent, the ingredients are great, and several of the products have multiple uses (like the body creams you can also use on your hair). I personally like the body products better than the hair products, but the line is certainly worth a try. Must Haves: Muscavado Vanilla and Pecan Body Sugar Sorbet, Palm Tapioca Deluxe Hair Cream, Whipped Custard Souffle Body Cream
2. ReVe Essentials: It seems like people are either loving or hating these products, and luckily for me, I’m on the love side, because the prices are great and the shipping is fair. I especially love that Eve and Rebecca offer their products in a number of scents, and even offer an unscented option to those who are sensitive to smells. ReVe is fairly new to the game, and I look forward to seeing where these ladies take their brand – the potential is certainly there! If you like sweet smells, I have to recommend the Strawberry scent. It smells like Kool-Aid, which is absolutely perfect for summer. Must Haves: Hair & Body Moisturizer, Hair & Body Butter
3. Camille Rose Naturals: Overall, I’d have to say this is one of the most moisturizing lines I have ever used. If you are in need of some moisture – you really can’t go wrong!! There are also some unique ingredients used by this brand – no boring shea butter mixes here! The products are also available at great online stores like AveYou and Sage Naturalceuticals, so you can stock up on different brands at the same time. FTW! Must Haves: Curl Love Moisture Milk, Almond Jai Twisting Butter
4. Solstice Scents: If you haven’t heard me gushing about Solstice Scents, you MUST be hiding under a rock. Angela’s perfume blends are absolutely awesome, with a wide range of scents from gourmand to woodsy to floral. The only problem is that she comes out with seasonal blends, so you have to stock up before they’re gone. The good news? The perfume roll ons last forever. Must Haves (from the general catalog, because otherwise it’s just not fair, lol): Violet Truffle, Black Forest (for a nice mix of woodsy and gourmand together – it’s not for everyone though), Cocoa Mallow
5. Curl Junkie: Yep, I’m still counting Curl Junkie as an indie company, although Marsha has quite the cult following. I was thinking about this the other day while I was doing my hair – CJ seriously has the best conditioners ever (for me). Just superb; even the protein treatment feels moisturizing. Although my CJ staples come and go, the line certainly holds a special place in my heart. It can be hard to get CJ on the ground, but it’s definitely readily available online (like at AveYou). Must Haves: Curls in a Bottle, Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil Daily Conditioner, Repair Me!
**Disclaimer: These lines did not solicit me to mention their brand in this post, I absolutely 100% came up with this list on my own. I use all of the products mentioned and have purchased them with my own money. Also, this list does not represent the ONLY great indie companies out there.**