If you’ve been following me for awhile, you know that I believe in protecting your ends to retain length. Usually I seal my hair with some type of oil, but today I thought of something different: What if I sealed my ends with a silicone serum (heat protectant)? Previously I had been skeptical to try this because I feared silicone build-up, but my cleansing conditioner (DevaCurl Decadence No Poo) removes silicones just fine!
So for the next month, I am going to use a silicone serum when I style my wash and go on my ends. Currently, I am using Form Beauty Protect because the ingredients – argan oil is the fourth ingredient (after a ton of cones of course). What am I looking for? Any noticeable differences in hair appearance and thickness – thicker ends perhaps, or a decrease in single strand knots and split ends. Check out this video for more information:
But the real question is – who wants to join me? I have already started using my serum but am “officially” starting on August 1st. You can check out my Facebook page and sign up for updates!
– You must use a silicone-based heat protectant or shine serum as your sealant, mainly because these products are usually a blend of oils and silicones, which is what we are looking for.
– If you can, use a product that also contains nourishing ingredients and oils for hair. Silicones do have their place, but at the end of the day, they aren’t truly beneficial to long-term hair health.
– Use your serum every time you style your hair, whether it be in a wash and go, twist out, etc. These products should not frizz out your style, so you can also use it to refresh your hair as well as long as it’s not too heavy.
– Check your progress weekly! We can post updates and pictures on the event page.
POPULAR SILICONES IN PRODUCTS TO LOOK FOR:
– Phenyl Trimethicone
PRODUCT SUGGESTIONS (I have all of these and the ingredients are good. I’ll mainly be using Form Beauty Protect.)
– Form Beauty Protect.
– Amika Nourishing Argan Oil Serum
– AG the oil extra virgin argan miracle (such an extra name, lol)
– Carol’s Daughter Monoi Split End Sealer