Updated July 24, 2017
Here’s my current regimen, I try to keep it fairly simple. Regarding products, I am generally modified CG, meaning, I will use more “advanced” silicones that are not as prone to build up (like amodimethicone and bis-aminopropyl dimethicone) as “harsher” cones. I do not use sulfates if I can help it.
– Wash hair with shampoo 1x a week (maybe every ten days or so if I’m lazy) in 4 sections (pinned up with alligator clips) – I no longer cowash. Remember, cowashing is technically using conditioner to clean your scalp. I use conditioner on the length of my hair, and shampoo or a cleansing conditioner (like Ouidad) with cleansing surfactants, concentrating on my scalp.
– Condition or use a lighter cleansing conditioner (like DevaCurl Decadence No Poo) when I am redoing my hair (4 sections again), depending on how my hair feels and if I feel the product has left some build up (usually every 2-3 days, could be daily if I don’t like my second day hair or am playing with products).
**While washing my hair in sections, I wash and condition each section before moving onto the next IF I am using shampoo. If I’m using a cleansing conditioner, I will leave it in for a few minutes after applying to all sections to allow it to work, then rinse and oil rinse or condition.**
– DC 1x a week. Note: My GOAL is to DC once a week, but I have gotten REALLY bad at this (Feb. 17, 2014). Lately, I’ve been leaving my rinse out conditioner on my hair for ten minutes or so before rinsing, and I consider that my DC.
– Oil Rinsing (I haven’t done this lately, but it’s still a good practice) – I often oil rinse my hair before conditioning it in the shower. I used to try to do it every time I wet my hair, but now it’s really just when I feel like my hair feels dry. Check out the below video on the benefits of oil rinsing and how I do it:
– Daily Style – Wash and Go (applying product in 8 sections), bun, or ponytail. Since I often wear my hair out, I wrote an article with tips on retaining length without protective styling. I might also do a dry braid out if I’ve had my hair in a bun all week.
– Wash and Go Potential Product Combo/Orders
- Leave-In + Styler + Finisher
- Leave-In + Styler + Sealer
- Leave-In + Styler + Finisher + Sealer on ends (I promise it’s not a lot of product!)
- Styler + Finisher
- Styler + Sealer
- Leave-In + Finisher
Wash and Gos: I do not apply products differently depending on what I am using. I have tried different methods of styling and raking/smoothing works best for my hair.
– Sleeping! – Another area I have started to falter…my video below has the latest – usually I just leave my hair in the bun or ponytail if it was in that style that day, or I sleep with my Sue Maesta hood when my hair is out. And sometimes, I just sleep on my pillowcase and call it a day.
Again, always sleep with a satin pillowcase!
– Moisturize/fluff out as needed using a water based moisturizer or oil when refreshing a wash and go. If my hair is too stretched, I will spritz it with a refresher spray so it shrinks up some.
– Refresh my hair throughout the week as needed using a spray or oil.
– Sealing – Since my hair is longer, I have started sealing my ends more to keep them lubricated and minimize breakage and splits. In addition to sealing in moisture, using an oil or pomade on your ends forms a protective barrier between your hair and the elements/items of friction (clothing, bag straps, etc). Check the HG list for my favorite pomades and sealers!
– Trimming – I try to keep my SSKs to a minimum by moisturizing like crazy. However, I do search and destroys for the rare split and SSKs when I see them. My last trim was on July 11, 2017. Sometimes I trim my bangs a little so they frame my face and because I look at them the most. I don’t like them looking raggedy, lol!
– Detangling – I finger detangle in the shower when I condition my hair to get out shed hairs and make sure there aren’t any bad knots. Every 1-2 weeks I detangle using my Mason Pearson Rake Comb. I also use my Ouidad Double Detangler, which is amazing if I have more tangles (this can happen if I use conditioner only).
– Heat/Diffusing – I diffuse as needed when my hair is soaking wet and I have things to do! Otherwise, I air dry. I flat iron my hair maybe every 4 months or so in winter? Really when the mood hits me and the climate is optimal (meaning, not much in summer because it will just frizz out anyway).
Also, I continue to get questions about my hair color. Please check out this post for a thorough review of what I have used. Since that time, the only thing I did was add indigo to my henna mix (mixed them about half and half). However, I am no longer using henna or indigo (last use was the end of February). I dyed my hair at the beginning of 2012 in order to attempt to make the red less noticeable, check out the post on my dye experience here. In September 2012 I dyed it dark brown/black. Since then, I have decided to venture out and play with fantasy colors using bleach. I bleached about half my head in January 2016 for a more ombre effect, and in January 2017 I bleached my whole head to achieve a light rose gold blonde. Throughout the year, I refresh and give the color “pop” with conditioning, semi-permanent dyes. All of my hair color experiences are archived here.